Before you go looking to get an UPVC Window Installation in Burnley, it is essential that you prepare for the installation and see if you are able to get it installed.
There are certain checks and requirements that need to be met or dealt with before booking an installation.
The main steps are the planning permission and basic checks.
This step is vital to the installation process. You must know if you do, or do not need permission and if so, what types and documents you need. If you are unsure, you can ask your local building control for advice on the matter. You also need to check if your area has a ‘Code for Sustainable Homes’ and have a read. These are all legal steps that need to be taken and without them, you will not be able to get a fitting. Depending on the business, this may be researched for you but in case it isn’t, here’s a short visual representation of details on permissions.
Is The Property Listed?
- YES – You will need either a Grade 1, 2 or 3 Planning Approval.
- NO – Continue Down
Is The Property in a Conservation Area?
- YES – Continue Down
- NO – No approval needed.
Is It Registered with an Article 4 Directive?
- YES – You need both planning approval AND conservation area consent.
- NO – Conservation area consent required.
Once you have figured out what permissions you need, the next step would be to book a consultation. This is usually done for free. During the consultation they will go through lots of topics and receive the paperwork for permission (if needed). These consultations usually lead on to a check where they visit the place in question and look to give the go ahead. This all includes the following:
- Talk about the costs and fee’s that come with the fitting.
- Decipher if the building is going to be/is having a significant change of use.
- Go through building regulations to ensure health & safety of the public and occupants, talk through the access and use of the building and go through talks of energy conservation.
- They will sort out the times, payment details and go through an identity check.
- See which method and window suits to your personal needs such as: Use, Cleaning, Occupants, Size & Shape, Light, Ventilation, Weatherproofing and Security.
After these steps have been followed and you have been approved for the installation, sit back and relax! It does seem quite hectic but isn’t actually as bad as it seems. Most of this can be found out within minutes and the company may even do this all for you.